Sketty Primary School has an Eco Committee made up of 21 members from years 2 to 6. The committee members are extremely passionate about improving the environment both at the school and in the local community. Throughout the past year the committee have planned and taken part in a range of projects which have been promoted throughout the whole school. Projects include:
- Fruit tuck shop - fruit tasting and encouraging healthy snacks
- Day to day recycling - recycling audits of pink, green and food waste bags
- The big battery hunt - bringing in old and used batteries
- Installation of push taps in the school from welsh water
- Pond dip - giving nature a home
- Gardening and bug hotels - growing plants in the school and creating a home for minibeasts
- The Sketty School Potato Grow Off - In-school competition of growing health potatoes
- Earth hour - Switching off all electricity for an afternoon - 50% energy saved compared to a normal afternoon in 2019.
- Rags 2 Riches - Collecting old clothes for people who are less fortunate. 932kg of clothes brought in and £466.95 raised for the school.
- Tree planting - Every child planted one tree in our school grounds. They are in the process of planning to raise money for a school in Uganda to do the same.
An amazing array of fantastic work! Well done!